Sunday, April 05, 2009

Giz a job

Well I am about to join the many looking for a new job as I have been made redundant from Comet. Whilst it was not a shock it was actually a surprise as I have delivered some good projects in the last 6 months. I do honestly think that this could be the best thing to happen. I have a chance to find something else to do, work on my Australian visa application (Yes we want to migrate next year) and get Comet out of my system. Including Kingfisher and Comet I was in the group for 10 years so probably best to have a change.

Might be tricky getting back into looking and interviews but fingers crossed it wont be too long.

What do I want? Well I quite fancy a bit of contracting to go and see some new companies, make new friends and see how projects are run differently. The other idea is maybe a junior project manager role in another industry i.e. construction and have a break from IT. I can use my redundancy to supplement the drop in wages. Oh who knows but I do know that I am looking forwards and not backwards.

What else has happened. I'm another year older, Not managed to get to Palace much although that has been nice (Last game was Watford away and that was crap), Have bought a couple of watches:
Casio G Shock (For the weekends)



And this Tissot for a special day (Not collected this watch just yet)



Now I need to start living to my means though so no more watches :-(

If you know if any Project Manager roles please let me know,
I am a qualified Prince2 Practitioner and would label myself a Technical or Infrastructure IT Project Manager.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I might borrow them ;-) Faye

Fluffy Pink Duck said...

Aww James, I'm really sorry to hear that you lost your job I'm glad you've got plans afoot though.

I took voluntary release from the Civil Service at the end of March which gave me a nice lump sum to play with before the baby is born. I think that probably it's the best thing that's happened to me.

Broadening your experience in different industries sounds like a good idea especially with Australia in mind.

I bet you won't miss the long hikes up to Hull though

Matt said...

Never mind Simmo; I think you're right, it will be the best thing that happened to you and in years to come you'll like back at this as the turning point. Just remember life goes on and there's more to life than Comet!

Istvanski said...

Shitty economy, bah!
Good luck on the Visa front, if you get accepted grab the Antipodean opportunity and never let it go.
I last saw Palace at Loftus Road - boring game it was too. Hope to see the last game of the season against Warnock's old buddies, Sheff U.
All the best to you and yours in the meantime.